Monday, October 30, 2017

Judge W. Gregory Coy’s Injustice Made Easy

Very few people could comprehend being incarcerated on $600,000 and forced to trial without any assistance of counsel in the United States but here's the role Switzerland County Circuit Judge W. Gregory Coy played in allowing Indiana to get away with it....

“I submit to you that that is not a judicial system we want. That's what this case is about. It isn't about Judge Humphrey. It isn't about Dr. Connor. It is about our system of justice that was challenged by Dan Brewington and I submit to you that it is your duty, not to let him pervert it, not to let him take it away and it happens if he's not held accountable. He's held accountable by a verdict of guilty. That's how he's held accountable and that's what we're asking you to do.”

     These are the closing arguments by Indiana Chief Deputy Attorney General F. Aaron Negangard explaining why he sought indictments and convictions against me when Negangard was the Dearborn County Prosecutor. I had no idea what actions I was supposed to defend because my public defender, Rush County Chief Public Defender Bryan Barrett, never met with me in jail to discuss my case. I told the special trial judge, Rush Superior Court Judge Brian Hill, that Barrett never met with me to discuss my case. I filed three motions addressing the issues but Judge Hill refused to question Barrett about it. Judge Hill said he wouldn't consider my motions because I had legal counsel to file them for me. I filed the motions because Barrett would not speak to me. Following my conviction, my appellate attorney Michael Sutherlin said I couldn’t raise Barrett’s non-existent representation on appeal because there was no record of trial strategy. The Indiana Supreme Court upheld my convictions, claiming Barrett’s "trial strategy" waived my right to relief from the unconstitutional guilty verdicts and the unconstitutional aspects of Negangard's prosecution. Chief Justice Loretta Rush speculated Barrett employed a "trial strategy" to take advantage of Negangard's unconstitutional arguments. Rush also claimed the motions I filed demonstrated a sophisticated understanding of the First Amendment, but Rush failed to address the fact I filed the motions because Barrett refused to speak with me or provide me with any assistance in preparing a defense for trial. This year I filed a petition for post-conviction relief and raised numerous grounds, one of which pertained to the fact that Barrett refused to meet with me. Coy signed an order on September 25, 2017 denying my petition for post-conviction relief. Coy didn’t make any specific findings of fact as required by the Indiana Post-Conviction Rules. Coy simply dismissed all my claims by stating:

“There is no factual basis to support any of Brewington’s claims and/or allegations against the judges and attorneys involved in his case.”  


No kidding? Of course, there’s no factual basis because the Indiana Courts continue to silence my complaints that my attorney never met with me to prepare for my case. Barrett submitted no evidence, called no witnesses, and even admitted during closing arguments that he wasn’t sure what two of the indictments were even about. The Indiana Supreme Court couldn't have known what Barrett’s trial strategy was because I didn’t know what Barrett’s trial strategy was. Trial strategy is determined in post-conviction proceedings but Coy deprived me of the ability to establish that Barrett did NOTHING by dismissing my petition. Current Dearborn County Prosecutor Lynn Deddens is fully aware of the situation but does nothing. The prosecutor’s pleadings were signed by Andrew Krumwied, a West Point Alum. As Krumwied’s brothers in arms are fighting and dying for our freedoms, Krumwied fights to take them away for political convenience in Dearborn County, Indiana. The same people who probably condemn kneeling NFL players are the people hiding behind closed doors, mocking the United States Constitution. Judge W. Gregory Coy took the path of least resistance rather than a path of justice, just to punish someone who had the courage, or stupidity, to challenge the “Indiana System of Justice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment