Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Welcomed Break This Weekend

What did I do this weekend? Nothing. That's not really true. I left the house. On Friday, a friend of mine posted on Facebook that he was ready to drink a beer. I wrote back and asked "where are we going?" I wound up meeting a couple of friends and their families at a local cafe for a couple hours. Then I met up with some other friends at a buddy's house. We drank a couple beers, played some PS3, and went to a bar for a little while. On Saturday, a friend swooped me up so I could pick up my truck (Public safety reminder-- It's always more convenient to pick up your vehicle in the morning than it is to drink and drive). When I returned to my buddy's house to retrieve my truck, I ended up playing DJ Hero, watching NFL football and, and helping install a new bathroom floor and a new toilet. Then we ordered a pizza, flipped between SNL and Dave Chappelle reruns until I realized it was not going to get any easier to get out of the recliner and drive home. When I got home, I realized that I went a day without working on my computer and I went to bed, keeping the streak alive.

I took a break from life by enjoying life for a little while. I am always writing and typing about my situation. Sharing fun experiences with friends in the last couple of days reminded me of the importance of "real" communication. Social networking sites like Facebook are great for keeping in touch, but it cannot replace the handshakes, hugs, or kisses that are exchanged when you meet and greet good friends. What you think keeps you in touch with the world is sometimes what keeps you away from the world. I'm lucky to have friendships that are "oblivious" to time. They are people who will always welcome you for dinner. Nobody keeps track of favors or who "owes" who; there is just the understanding that your friends are there for you and you are there for them.

The best thing that happened this weekend is I had the chance to see my friends' 3 year old daughter. The last time I saw her was when my buddy stopped by and she played with my daughters. I haven't seen my daughters since August 19, 2009. The greatest fear for a father who can't see his children is the fear that his kids will begin to forget their dad. My friends' 3 year old remembered me. When her finger got pinched at the cafe, I "fixed" her finger with an orange slice. Pinched fingers may hurt, but a hand delivered orange slice on a cocktail napkin can have special healing powers. She kept smiling even because I told her that I didn't like smiles. These are the things I did with my daughters all of the time. If my friends' 3 year old remembers me, I'm sure that my daughters remember their dad.

I had a great time this weekend. I took a break from the action and the break reminded me why I do what I do. The job that I am most qualified for in life is being a dad. Kids grow up fast so I have to keep fighting to be a father to my little girls. I hope the people in the family court system realize that I will never give up. I hope they understand that people whom have known me nearly all of my life, are horrified when they hear I don't have the ability to see my children. If I don't get to see my daughters for 10 years I'm going to be sure that I have ten years worth of evidence documenting that I did everything in my power to be with them. Just hang on girls because daddy won't stop fighting for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment