Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I have a lot to be thankful for on my birthday

I have been receiving many birthday greetings today from my friends on Facebook. Why am I getting so many greetings? It may have to do with the fact that they all love me; or it could be due to the fact that I have shamelessly plugged my birthday for the last couple days and I have reminded people not to forget to send their greetings to me. That's why I love my friends. They understand me. They understand it's not actually about the number of birthday well wishers, or my quest for the Facebook record of happy birthday greetings; it's just about nothing. A break from daily life to do something that is, for a lack of a better term, "innocently stupid".

This is the 2nd Annual Dan Brewington Birthday Greetingathon. I've advertised that all greetings will help protect the environment of the "endangered" Ohio River carp. There are probably as many carp in the Ohio River as there are rocks. If you find yourself thinking that it doesn't make sense, you are right on track. It makes no sense whatsoever. Why would a 37 year old man have a birthday greeting telethon to help save fish in the Ohio River that aren't even an endangered species? Because it makes some of my friends laugh. It makes some of them smile. I'm sure it makes some of them shake their heads and say "that's just Dan". Whatever the reaction is, my friends understand that it isn't about me; it's about us. I've received greetings from old friends and new friends, parents of friends (who are actually friends as well) and friends of friends that I don't really know. People are rolling up their sleeves for a minute of their day to be a part of something that is wonderfully non-sensical. The best birthday gift that I can receive (despite the obvious) is just the thought of knowing that I made someone smile during the course of their daily life. It's the least I can do for all of the support that my friends have given me over the past couple years. So in honor of all my gracious friends, don't forget to stop by on November 16, 2011 so you can attend the 3rd Annual Dan Brewington Birthday Greetingathon. I love you guys.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Don't forget me - it is my b'day! WOW! What a little kid you are! What special thing did you do for your kids b'day's?? To honor THEM? Just wondering!

    ReplyDelete