Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"Confidential" Grand Jury Transcripts

As you can see, it got pretty heated between Dearborn County Prosecutor Aaron Negangard and me when I was before the grand jury. I have to say that he made me crack in the Dearborn County Courthouse. This confidential dialogue came from a microphone that was hidden under a disposable Dixie Cup.

Prosecutor Negangard: Daniel Brewington, did you order the Code Red?

Dan Brewington: You want answers?

Prosecutor Negangard: I think I'm entitled.

Dan Brewington: You want answers?

Prosecutor Negangard: I want the truth!

Dan Brewington: You can't handle the truth!

Dan Brewington: Aaron, we are bound by a legal system that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with intelligence and honesty. Who's gonna do it? You? Your crooked court officials? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Dr. Edward J. Connor, and you curse people who challenge the system. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Dr. Connor’s professional demise, while tragic, has protected a lot of families. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, helps society. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you don’t want my integrity to go near your legal system. We use words like honor, code, law. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a sign, and march against corruption in the Indiana Courts. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Prosecutor Negangard: Did you order the Code Red?

Dan Brewington: I did the job I...

Prosecutor Negangard: Did you order the Code Red?

Dan Brewington: You're Goddamn right I did!

As many of you have figured out, this is an altered version of the courtroom dialogue from the movie “A Few Good Men”, starring Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise, and Demi Moore. I want to apologize to most of the people who came to this blog with the expectation that they were going to find the actual dialogue from yesterday’s proceedings. I am prohibited from talking about what went on inside the grand jury hearing. I am simply trying to teach Dearborn County Prosecutor Aaron Negangard a couple of lessons. The first lesson is freedom of speech. Sometimes I like to move away from the monotony of all of my legal research and take a little time to entertain. That’s another component to freedom of speech; the ability to entertain. The second lesson is that I take life very seriously but at the same time I enjoy living life. Prosecutor Negangard is coming after me with vengeance; I’m going after (legally speaking of course) corrupted public officials because it’s the right thing to do. There is also an amusing sidebar to the situation. People appreciate how I am able to take on a corrupt Dearborn County Justice System with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. It’s not because I am crazy or dangerous as Dr. Connor would like people to believe; it’s because I am a person who takes life in stride and I am not going to let a group of criminals bring me down.

So there you have it Aaron. The jokes on you and people find it very entertaining so it falls under First Amendment Speech. Of course I probably didn’t have to tell you that. After all, you are a powerful lawyer and I only have an associate’s degree from the University of Cincinnati.

No comments:

Post a Comment