Friday, April 15, 2011

Importance of ALL Evidence

April 13, 2011

Transcribed

Sergeant Rod McGownd is mad at me.

“Sergeant Rod” is a correctional officer at the Dearborn County Law Enforcement Center. For some reason Sergeant Rod wanted to argue about placing the envelopes from my mail with my personal items. It shounldn’t have been a shock to him because I have requested that the DCLEC save all of my envelopes from the beginning.

When an inmate receives mail, the jail discards the envelopes. If there is a return address on the envelope, they will tear it off for you or let you write it down before they discard the envelope. I imagine the DCLEC worries about people trying to sneak contraband in the folds of the envelopes. I have made it clear to several jail officials that my lawyer told me to save and document everything. As it seems likely that I will pursue action against the DCLEC, Dearborn County and some Dearborn County officials, everything with my name on it can be considered evidence. Any lawyer will tell you that you never want to find yourself saying, “Man, I wish I would have saved that for court.” Hindsight is 20/20: realizing that you threw away valuable evidence is heart breaking.

“You don’t have to be a bitch about it:, said Sergeant Rod McGownd. I received 3 cards on 4/11/11. I already had the addresses of the 1st two envelopes so they could go straight to my personal effects. The 3rd envelope came from a friend of my mother. I didn’t have the Florida address so I asked Sergeant Rod to tear off the return address for me. Sergeant Rob preceded to ask me if he could discard the envelope as if it was some kind of incredible burden to place 3 envelopes in my personal belonging instead of just 2. “Why”, he asked just like Sergeant Rob has asked before. Once again I explained that my lawyer told me to keep everything because it could be evidence. Sergeant Rod then informed me that my attorney’s advice was stupid. I then told Sergeant McGownd that it was obvious that he was not a lawyer. That’s when Sergeant Rod told me that I didn’t “have to be a bitch about it.”

My mother would not be pleased to know that Sergeant Rod resorted to calling me a bitch; not because she is an over protective mother but because she is a retired 8th grade teacher. Ask a middle school teacher how they feel about a student saying “you don’t have to be a bitch about it.: It’s like nails on a chalkboard. But that’s what DCLEC officials have resorted to: rather than respect my request to save evidence they want to be name calling obstructionists.

Sergeant Rod’s actions are right in line with some of Dearborn County’s other “fine” officials. Rather than respect my rights as a person or inmate, he wants to argue over my right to preserve evidence and build a case for myself. I guess I should expect that from an institution like the DCLEC who denies me medical treatment and access to my lawyer. But that’s the game Dearborn County likes to play with Dan Brewington. My game is much different. I keep the public informed of Dearborn County’s unethical/illegal conduct. Will Dearborn County officials retaliate against me for exposing their actions? We will have to wait and see. In the meantime, I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment